Sunday 11 September 2011

Bubbles

Thanks to some very nice PRs, I've had the debut album by The Stepkids for a couple of months now. I won't say too much about it now, because I'll be reviewing it in the next couple of weeks, but pretty much every article I've read about the band mentions The Free Design. It's easy to see why, they've both got that dream-pop, 70s psych thing going on (except that The Free Design actually were a 70s band) which is more than a little spacey.

This all reminded me of a marvellous song by The Free Design which I first heard on 6Music last year (I think on Tom Ravenscroft's show, though it may have been Gideon Coe's). There's something wonderfully innocent and naive-sounding about it which I adore. It's probably all about drugs - this is psych we're talking about - but I've always been attracted to artists who have a child-like aspect running through their work. If I knew anything about psychology - A Level notwithstanding - I may be tempted to conclude that being drawn to this sort of thing says a lot about my attitude to the real world and how I don't like to face up to things. Anyway, I digress and besides, I think I'm doing ok.

So, in the mean time, this is Bubbles by The Free Design. I know next to nothing about this band or, really, this style of music in general, but I'd like to learn more. If anyone could point me in the direction of some further listening - perhaps a good compilation or two - I'd be very grateful.

No comments: